Emails from your elopage account are sent by default to the address "firstname.lastname@example.org". To prevent important messages such as purchase confirmations from ending up in the spam folder, you can send emails to your customers and partners sent by your own email provider with the corresponding domain in the email address. The emails sent by your seller account also appear in the "Sent" folder of your email provider and you can use the familiar features for managing your sent emails in your own mailbox.
The SMTP feature is also particularly attractive for sellers whose email domain reflects their brand identity and who already use our >>Custom domain for their elopage URLs.
Step by step guide
Make SMTP settings
- In the main menu of your seller account, go to "Settings" and "Email Configuration."
- Click on the "Custom SMTP" switcher.
If you have not yet booked the free "Custom SMTP" app, a corresponding window will open. Just click on "Book now." You can then use the "Custom SMTP" feature without any restrictions.
- If the app is booked, click on the "switcher" to open additional fields in which you can enter the SMTP information of the desired email provider.
Usually you get this information by searching the internet for your email provider (e.g. Gmail) and adding "SMTP."
- Choose whether your emails should be automatically encrypted with STARTTLS. If so, mark the checkbox next to "Automatic encryption (STARTTLS)."
- Then click on "Test SMTP Settings."
- If the test was successful, a message about it appears in green in the upper right corner.
- If an error has occurred, a warning will appear in orange. The following can be the causes of the error message:
- SMTP information is incorrect, e.g. wrong port number, wrong SMTP server, error in entering the password, etc.)
- Your external email provider has blocked the login for security reasons.
- Please first check the correctness of the information entered and test the connection again. If you get an error message again, log into the email inbox to be connected and check whether you have received a security warning. If so, follow the steps your email provider gives you to allow the connection. Do you use Gmail? Then our article >>Security warning from Gmail for custom SMTP will help you.
- If the test was successful, you have the option to save your settings by clicking on the now blue "Save" button.
- A pop-up opens asking you to confirm the settings again. Click again on "Save."
- A message appears in green that the settings have been saved successfully and the "Save button" is now gray.
Test new email provider
You can test the new provider for outgoing account emails by adding a >>test purchase with an email address to whose mailbox you have access.
The automatically sent purchase confirmation email, unless you have deactivated it in the product settings, was sent by the previously connected email provider and no longer by "email@example.com".
The checkbox next to "Allow automatic emails to customers" (such as purchase confirmation) must be selected and the settings saved so that elopage sends notifications. We show you how you determine which email notifications your customers and partners receive in our support article >>Managing email notifications.
If email notifications are to be sent to your customers again from "firstname.lastname@example.org", simply deactivate SMTP by clicking on the "Custom SMTP" switcher.
If you want to enable SMTP again, click on the "switcher" again. Your previously saved settings are already entered.